Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chicken Broccoli Casserole *without the cream of chicken soup.


Some people hate Disney, others hate Walmart(can't blame them), but I hate cream of whatever soups.  I absolutely will not ever use them.  Loaded with MSG, oil, sodium and who knows what else - if a recipe calls for them - I don't even consider it.  I know, I'm a snob.


So today, with a surplus of broccoli in my fridge I thought a broccoli casserole would be just the way to go only to discover that EVERY recipe under the sun requires the use of some can of creamed soup.   Still wanting the casserole, I knew it was time to figure out how to make my own cream of chicken soup.  So with this recipe for cream of chicken soup in hand, I made a good old fashioned broccoli casserole without too much guilt or MSG! 

I love the cream of chicken recipe from Apartment Therapy's kitchn site.  It seriously took like a minute and a half.  And here is my completely made up and RIDICULOUSLY yummy recipe for

Broccoli Chicken Rice Casserole:

1 C Brown Rice
1 Chicken Breast - salt and peppered
1 large head of Broccoli - chopped up to smallish pieces - abt 4 cups
2 - 3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 yellow bell pepper - diced
Salt & Pepper and other spices to taste(I dashed in some dried basil and oregano)
A double recipe of cream of chicken soup
3(ish) cups of sharp cheddar - grated
1/2 C Wheat Germ



Start cooking one cup of brown rice in 3 cups of water first - this will take about 45-50 minutes so start early.   Next add some butter and olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat.   Add your chicken breast and cover with a little bit of tin foil and cook until no longer pink - about 6-8 minutes per side.  Remove your chicken and leave the drippings - and add a little more oil to the pan.  Add your garlic - cooking for about 30 seconds and then add the broccoli, peppers, salt and pepper and spices and a little bit of water - stir and cover for about 5 minutes until slightly softened and quite flavorful.   While it's cooking dice your chicken breast up and  put it in a large bowl.  Once your veggie mixture and rice are done - throw them in as well as the 2 cups of the cheese and the soup and stir it all together.  Lightly spray a 9 x 13 casserole and put the mixture in.   Top with the remaining cheese and the wheat germ and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until the cheese is melted and a little golden.  And then prepare yourself for a ridiculously good and pretty darn healthy comfort food for dinner!

StumbleUpon.com

12 comments:

Mary Beth said...

This looks delicious. I too love an old fashioned broccoli casserole and hate buying that awful soup for it! I will be trying this. I have one question--about cooking the chicken breast under the tinfoil--do you just tent it right there in the skillet?

megan said...

I do tent it right on the skillet - it just helps the heat stay in so it cooks to the center.

Adhis said...

But...but...but... creamofwhatever soup is great for food storage! What then??

megan said...

Adhis, I told you - I'm a snob. And since I never use it in the every day I don't need it in my food storage. I store what I do eat...

Adhis said...

I wanna be a snob, too! But... I have too many excuses.

1) My mom never taught me how to cook, so cooking is intimidating to me.

2) My budget doesn't allow food snobbery.

OK, that's only two excuses, but my hands are white-knuckling them.

megan said...

Adhis, even though being a snob is actually quite easy - avoiding those soups is not. But you know, we all want to feel superior about something. I'm sure there is something you've got on the rest of us, right?

Adhis said...

That's true. I'm an awesome... uh...
I am really good at...
I've got a fantastic sense... of...

Well, I'll think of something.

Anonymous said...

This was so refreshing to see someone else that was disturbed with all of the recipes that so originally call for this processed ingredient.

My husband has an allergy to soy and MSG. Most of all the food I prepare must be fresh, and not in a package.
Often these ingredients are hidden in something thats called natural flavors. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I hate cream of anything too! I will try this w/ fresh broccoli and homemade chicken stock w/ half and half

Kathy-Dustbin Handmade Cards said...

Thankyou so much for this recipe! I hate canned soups too, but mostly because I have a serious soy allergy and it is in ALL canned goods in some form or another.

Making this recipe right now!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a great recipe where I didn't have to use a a cream-of-.... soup. I hate that stuff; so bad for you - loaded with preservatives. I can't believe all the chicken broccoli casserole recipes that call for this canned stuff. Thanks again for this fresh healthy version!

Anonymous said...

I'm confused...the recipe title says that it's "without Cream of Chicken Soup" but the ingredient list has "A double recipe of cream of chicken soup." So it has the cream of chicken soup, you just make it yourself?

Related Posts with Thumbnails