Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tomatillo Soup







Do not be intimidated by the use of the mysterious tomatillo! They are easily found in your grocery store, and you just have to remove the outer husk, then they look and work just like a little green tomato. This is an excellent soup. I don't think I would have tried to make this had I not tasted it first. Even then, I thought it looked too hard. But it was sooo easy. It was served at a church function, and my friend Kiki encouraged me to make it at home. Thanks Kiki! This is one of our favorite recipes. it has very few calories (though I didn't measure out exactly how many cups it makes) and is based on lots of greens.

2 QT chicken stock
6-8 tomatillos with husks removed and rinsed
2 bunches of cilantro
1 jalepeno REMOVE SEEDS FIRST unless you like it HOT
1 whole med-large yellow onion
½ head garlic
Juice of lime
2 4oz cans diced green chiles
3 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
1 can corn
2 15 oz cans black beans
1 green bell pepper diced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Warm up stock on stove in med-large pot, add fresh or frozen chicken breasts to stock. Rinse all veggies. Put tomatillos (roughly sliced and raw), cilantro, and jalepeno (WITHOUT SEEDS) in blender. Blend well.


Add 1 can of diced green chiles. Add garlic and onion to blender mix. Blend well for a few minutes. Add lime juice and make sure it is well blended. Add to chicken and stock in pot. Bring to boil. Add diced green pepper, other can of diced chiles, corn, beans, and chicken. Add seasonings (cumin, salt, and pepper). Let simmer stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Remove Chicken breasts, shred with a fork, and add back into soup mixture.


Optional: serve with corn tortillas cut into strips, sour cream and diced avocado. Add more limejuice if you desire.

StumbleUpon.com

5 comments:

Katy said...

We love this recipe, too! I first tried it at Kiki's house and it fast became a favorite! My gosh, your pictures are making me salivate!

janderson said...

Thanks so much for the new post! I've been anxiously waiting :) This looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

YUMMERS!!! Okay, I'm totally making this. Thank you so much for posting it! You truly inspire me to eat better, Sheree!!! :)

Sarah said...

Thanks for the recipe! It's one of our favorites now. Even the kids will eat it -and they're not too keen on trying new things.

jwilson said...

YUM!!!! Thank you for sharing your recipes and ideas. I made it for dinner tonight and my whole family liked it. I was in heaven!

I have been doing a healthy challenge with some family and friends. I shared the link to this recipe on our healthy challenge blog.

THANK YOU for your healthy recipes and ideas. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails