Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Raspberry Almond Pancakes


I love blender pancakes! These are chewier and just have a great texture without being too heavy and dense since you don't use flour. Also, because everything goes in the one blender cup, there is very little mess. I usually double the batch. My blender cup is extra big. We make the pancakes, the nuts, then layer the pancakes with some honey greek yogurt, rasperries, and top with a little syrup.

I follow the blender pancake recipe from my cousin Joy’s cookbook, but just substitute a couple of things.

1 cup milk (I generally use rice milk)
1 cup spelt or wheat kernels, whole & uncooked
2 eggs
2 t baking powder
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
2 T applesauce (or oil)
4 T honey or agave

Put milk and wheat kernels in blender. Blend on highest speed for 4 or 5 minutes. Unless you have a Blendtec or Vitamix. In that case, 30 seconds or so will probably do.


Add eggs, applesauce, baking powder, baking soda, salt and honey or agave, then blend again until smooth.

Pour out batter into pancakes onto a hot greased griddle. Cook, flipping pancakes when bubbles start to form and then pop on top of the pancakes.

Spread with greek honey yogurt (or plain would be fine too) candied almonds, raspberries and maple syrup. Yum!

Candied almonds or pecans:

1. Chop 1 cup raw almonds or pecans with a food chopper (or a knife, but be careful or they’ll be all over your kitchen)
2. lightly grease a nonstick pan (I rub coconut oil on the pan with a paper towel)
3. Add 2 T of maple syrup to the pan, and mix in the almonds and a dash of salt if you’d like
4. Stir constantly over medium heat until light brown.


We like making these for birthdays or special occasions. They are probably not all that low calorie once you add the syrup and nuts. But if you eat them with just strawberries or raspberries and greek yogurt, they are pretty good. If you cut down the sweetener, they are only about 908 calories per batch, which is approximately 50 calories per pancake, depending on the size. I usually double the batch and freeze some. Here is what I got from my double batch:

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

ss said...

Hey, I had a great time reading your website. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Regards,

Angela
angelabrooks741 gmail.com

LR Photography said...

Wow, looks good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails